Entry requirements for candidates:
- British 1st or 2nd Class Honours Degree or equivalent.
- An acceptable level of English proficiency is required. Applicants who have not undertaken university education in English in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand must submit a UKVI IELTS score.
The minimum scores required for entry onto the Secondary Teacher Education Programme are as follows:
UKVI IELTS: Listening: 6.0, Reading: 6.0, Writing: 6.0, Speaking 6.0.
Applicants who have completed at least one year of university-level studies in one of the above countries may be exempt from submitting a UKVI IELTS score.
Note that TOEFL scores are not acceptable.
- Minimum of one-year’s experience teaching in a Religious Education Centre.
- To fall under the ITREB jurisdiction of any one of the following countries: Afghanistan, Australia and New Zealand, Bangladesh, Canada, Democratic Republic of Congo, Far East, France, India, Iran, Kenya, Madagascar, Pakistan, Portugal, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, United Kingdom or the United States of America.
- Commitment of a minimum of 3 years to work as a teacher within the ITREB network, with opportunities for career progression within the wider Aga Khan network of institutions.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to undertake a six week teaching placement at their local religious education centre (REC) and take part in an interview which will be conducted by the IIS, UCL IOE and ITREB.
How to apply
1. Application: Request an application pack by contacting your National ITREB office
or by emailing email@example.com
2. Attach your personal statement.
3. Official transcripts are required from all the institutions that you have attended (graduate and post-graduate), even if you have studied part time or several years ago.
4. A copy of your degree certificate is required.
5. Language test results (if required).
6. Four Reference Letters: Submit two academic references (If you are unable to produce two academic references, the Selection Committee will except one academic reference and one professional work reference). The third reference letter should be a character reference and the fourth reference letter should be an ITREB reference. The ITREB reference must be written by the Chairperson or Chairperson designate.
7. Deadline: The application deadline date is 9 October 2015. All completed applications with all the relevant documents, must be sent to:
Secondary Teacher Education Programme
Department of Graduate Studies
The Institute of Ismaili Studies
210 Euston Road
London NW1 2DA
It is the applicants' responsibility to provide authentic and verifiable evidence of qualifications. If you are found to have submitted fraudulent documents, your application will be automatically withdrawn.