|Town and Fortress||Castle Walls||Old Citadel|
The castle of Khawabi is about 20 kilometres from Tartus in Syria. It is 350 metres long and 200 metres wide. The town surrounding the castle was reoccupied by a group of Ismailis in the nineteenth century who still live comfortably in its ancient buildings. Khwabi is the only remaining example of a fairly complete Ismaili castle.
- Around 535/1140-1, the Ismailis captured several fortresses in the Jabal Bahra’ including Khawabi, Rusafa, Maniqa and Qulay‘a, which became collectively designated as the qila‘ al-da‘wa.
- Sometime after 555/1160, the Syrian Ismaili leader, Rashid al-Din Sinan (d. 589/1193) rebuilt Khawabi as well as the fortress of Rusafa.
- By Dhu’l-Qada 671/ May 1273, Khawabi, Qulay‘a and Maniqa had surrendered to Baybars (d. 675/1277) and the Mamluk armies.
Khawabi’s castle walls now used as cattle sheds.