The Summer Programme on Islam is an annual residential programme that brings together a diverse group of Ismailis from different regions and professions to engage in an introductory study of Islam and contemporary issues of Muslim societies.
- Provide participants with the knowledge, perspectives and tools to develop a civilisational approach to the understanding of Islam and Muslim societies.
- Situate the Ismaili tariqah within the larger context of Islam.
- Raise and examine contemporary issues facing Muslim societies and diasporic Muslim communities.
- Provide a networking and educational forum between faculty members and participants.
Leading scholars from the IIS and eminent professors from prestigious universities in Europe and North America will address key issues on the factors that have influenced historical developments and contemporary expressions of Islam and which continue to shape contemporary Muslim societies.
- Approaches to the study of Islam
- Historical importance and contemporary relevance of the Qur’an and the Prophet Muhammad
- Situating Imamat as a model of authority and leadership in the Muslim tradition
- Law and its Muslim contexts
- Contemporary landscape of the Muslim ummah.
- Application forms can be obtained by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
- Limited number of places available.
- Applicants must have proficiency in English and an undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- Applicants will be selected on the basis of their personal statements, academic and professional background, Jamati and wider community activities as well as their command of the English language.
- Telephone interviews to ascertain English language proficiency may be conducted with shortlisted candidates.
- Past participants of the SPI; IIS and ISMC graduates; participants of the ITP; and those who have completed either IWTP or PTEP ARE NOT eligible to apply.
- Unfortunately, handwritten and late applications CANNOT be accepted.
- In order to maintain a fair process, CVs / resumés will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application form.
- The application form is available online until Sunday 24th April 2016.
- Contribution is GBP £700 and includes boarding and lodging in London as well as course materials for the duration of the programme.
- Participants will be responsible for purchasing their own return airfares to London, UK. They will also be expected to obtain their UK visa, where necessary, and cover any associated costs.
- The selection of participants is need-blind.
- Limited financial assistance may be available towards a portion of the contribution and will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you wish to apply for financial assistance, please download the application form available online.
- The programme will be held in London, UK, and all participants are expected to stay in the halls of residence for the duration of the programme.
- Accommodation is provided for the nights of 13th to 20th July, inclusive. Check out is by 10:00 am on 21st July. If your flight schedule requires you to stay the night of 21st July in London, you will be expected to make your own arrangements and will be responsible for the cost of the extra night of accommodation and any associated costs.
- The programme ends on the evening of 20th July.
- If your flight schedules require you to arrive before or stay after the dates that the accommodation is provided, you will be responsible for these and any associated costs.
If you wish to apply for financial assistance, please download the financial assistance form along with the application form (word documents) and save them to your computer. Once you are ready to submit the completed forms, please complete the personal information page and upload the forms.
To see the Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Summer Programme, click here.
To read about the previous Summer Programme on Islam, click here.
The application process for this year's programme is now closed. For further information or related queries, please contact email@example.com.